Detroit Branch Visitors Center
The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago's Detroit Branch Visitors Center is free and open to the public. Reservations are required and can be made for tours occurring between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday, except on Bank holidays.
Tours last approximately 45 minutes and include:
- A chance to watch the Branch's cash department in action — sorting currency and preparing to disburse it to area banks
- A presentation about the functions and responsibilities of the Federal Reserve System, the Chicago Fed, and the Detroit Branch
- A short video about the operations of the Chicago Fed
- A question-and-answer session following the video
Scheduling a Tour
Tours of the Branch Visitors Center are open to groups of 15-60 people (high-school age and older) and may be scheduled between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday. All tours are guided, and requests for speakers are accepted.
To schedule a tour, please contact the Visitors Center using the information at right. It is recommended that you schedule your tour at least three weeks in advance. Tours requiring a speaker or occurring during our busy seasons (March through May and October through December) are advised to schedule a month or more in advance.
The Bank's Fresh Approach Cafe is open for breakfast from 7:30 to 10 a.m. and for lunch from 11 a.m. until 1:15 p.m. Visitors are welcome to dine in the cafe or design a special lunch for their tour group.
All individuals visiting the Visitors Center will be subject to the Detroit Branch screening process. The following items will be confiscated before entry and returned upon departure.*
- Fire arms
- Stun guns
- Knives, including pocket knives
- Utility/Box cutters
- Pepper spray or mace
- Cigarette lighters carried by minors
- Other illegal or potentially dangerous or destructive items
* Exceptions to this policy include illegal items and fire arms or other weapons for which the owner is unable to provide a proper license. These items will be turned over to the Detroit Police Department.
Please Keep in Mind
- All adult visitors must show a government-issued photo ID before entering the Visitors Center
- No food or drink is allowed
- School tours require one adult for every ten students age 17 or younger